Friday, November 7, 2008

My new home



Time now perhaps to pen a few words about where I find myself - Ouagadougou (wa gaa doo goo), in Burkina Faso, West Africa.

The geographical heart of the region Burkina is a land locked country sharing its boundaries with 6 other nations - Ghana, Togo, Benin, Niger, Mali and Cote d'Ivoire. It may be one of the poorest nations in the world, but it's also one of the most stable in the region.

My markets, well the ones I'm responsible for are here in West Africa - Ghana, Burkina, Niger, Mali, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Senegal, The Gambia, Togo... Over the last three years I've traveled here, once a year for four to five weeks, awhile wind tour, meeting clients, looking at how things fare.

Along the way, I decided to make this hope and was rather surprised when things actually worked out in that fashion!

So here I am, and I am wondering today if I made the right call! Its damn hot, it was 40 this morning at 10am, and I just found out that the max temp hits 45 - 50 in May!

Truth though, I'm kind of happy... I like Africa and to live here is a just so great. Have rented a house a few km away from the city center, a decent enough it is - three rooms, living and dining, a small garden. I'm not gonna stave for I found a cook, though I've also discovered a liking to potting around the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. nice!
    But the bit about the temp sure does sound so..... HOT....lol

    oh my.. did you say it could hit over 45???
    All the best and don't get baked! or fried! :)

    ReplyDelete