Thursday, April 23, 2009

My dolls

I've had dolls.

I now have two more- these two are a little different than the Action Man figures I used to play with as a child.



These two are West African voodoo dolls, the kind that are used by Togolese and Beninese witchdoctors practicing their art.

Crudely curved out of a light wood, the images are an approximate of male and female characteristics - genitalia and mammary glands if anyone is wondering!

Now, inanimate as they are there is something about them that contradicts that, somehow, in some in tangible way, they seem to have energy.

The result of an over active imagination fueled by Hollywood depictions of voodoo, juju and witchcraft? I don't know...

3 comments:

  1. lol... voodoo dolls??? u dont by any chance know how to work them, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maks: That they are, you should see them up close!

    Blackexists: I might... if all else fails I'll go see my juju man!

    ReplyDelete