Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A stranger's generosity


I was witness to an act of generosity which while completely unexpected, did not really surprise me given the person it was. Yesterday while chatting with a friend in SL, he happened to tell me that the Nephrology unit in Kandy was facing a crisis, that due to the lack of funds, 60 patients requiring dialysis would be turned away. My response was to stick the appeal on my Face Book and here on the blog and to be honest, I thought that would be the end of it.

This morning I find a note on FB for me to get in touch with K, a client and friend who lives down on the coast. Well I do, to hear that he's seen my post and he wants to help. To cut a long story short, the end result was that KS made a donation to cover the entire cost involved in treating those 60 people, people he's never met, in a country he's never been to and please note, he's not even a Sri Lankan!

K is a practitioner of Pranic Healing, a follower of the spiritual teacher Grand Master Choa Kok Sui, under whom he has studied

My interest in pranic healing came from two different directions, one obviously based upon my association with K and the other, unexpectedly, through a Tibetan Mantra, Om Mani Padme Hum which as I was to discover was a subject upon which the Grand Master Choa Kok Soi had written.

As I read his thoughts on this I came across to things which struck me for their simplicity - The Law of Karma and The Golden Rule as he referred to them

The Law of Karma

"You can control your future by using the Law of Karma. The Law of Karma gives you the ability to create your own destiny"

Karma is not fatalistic he claims, if all you have to eat is rice, its because that's all you planted; if you had planted wheat, potatoes and tomatoes you have a choice. You harvest only what you sow

The Golden Rule

In its 'yang' form states " Do unto others what you would have them do unto you" - to receive you should give, if you desire prosperity then practice charity and giving.

In its ying form "Do not unto others what you would not have them do unto you" if you don't want to be cheated or swindled, then treat others with honesty and fairness.

Seems straightforward really, not rocket science at all...

In closing, my thanks to K, for what he did today, I'm humbled by his example, proud that I can call him a friend and encouraged to be a better person by his example.



6 comments: