Saturday, October 6, 2007

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Arrived in Ethiopia and after a quick tour of the airport I figured I would try my luck since I had a long lay-over. As it was, I ended up being put up at a hotel for the night in Addis, making this my 27th country!

A few hours sleep, and back to the airport for my connection. The city of Addis Ababa is a colourful one, roofs and walls in multi colours, and the green, red and gold flag of the nation decked every where in celebration of the Millennium!

Ethiopia just celebrated the dawn of the millennium, September 23rd. Why you may ask, a little late isn’t it? Well the reason is simple; Ethiopians still follow the Julian calendar, one that the rest of the world dropped a few years ago in favour of the Gregorian. From what I have been reading, Ethiopians from around the world flew home to celebrate the event.

The Molo airport is in an amazing location, at the end of a small plateau it gives the impression of being at the edge of a cliff.

On my way in, I took a few minutes to indulge myself and give me a present. A few months ago on a rip that was an utter disaster I lost my old leather jacket. It was all very stupid how it happened, but it did.

My indulgence then was a replacement, not quite what I had in mind, but close enough.

Lined up to board, I make the acquaintance of an exotically gorgeous Angolan – Julian. A business and finance major at a university in Bangkok, she was returning home on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment