Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Two weeks in to a new year

Its been awhile since I've posted, not really for a lack of time as much as a lack if direction I think. But I'm here now and attempting to remedy my laps!

The first day of 2009 saw me embarking upon a road trip from Ouagadougou to Accra, Ghana - a 1000km plus drive, including a border crossing. The general plan was to make a brief stop off to see some 'friendly' crocodiles and then to pitch tent in close proximity to a Monkey Sanctuary, mid point of my journey.

The sanctuary has come up about as a result of a village that considers the primates to be sacred - as a result of which there an abundance of two spices in the locality.

It is kind of surreal, my life right now. Living it so far away from home, a stranger in a strange land.I live in Francophone West Africa of all places!

A couple days in Accra to take care of business and I was off again to Lome, Togo, a mere 170km away - the journey broken only by a string of corrupt policemen asking for their Christmas presents - so frustrating was it that at one point I responded saying that the previous five had cleared my pockets out! It is however a way of life here, and one better dealt with a smile than a frown. My only worry is how I account for the gifts to the powers that be!

I like visiting Lome because my clients there are a wonderful family. Practitioners of Pranic Healing they exude a wonderful sense of calmness and good will and I inevitably leave refreshed and at peace.

Back to Accra for a night and on the road again towards Burkina - a journey with little to write about...

The news from SL is terrible - the murder of Lasantha Wickramatunga a tragedy and such a telling on the state of our country. That the finger points at the very people elected to safe guard the rights of all of us speaks volumes about the depths they have sunk too.

And we are also supposed to register ourselves now too on line? Surely not for any good you can be assured. At the least such a data base used to identify and intimidate the populace. Have we not learnt yet that ethnicity is what has brought us here on the backs of corrupt immoral self serving politicians?

Oh when will we stand as one and chase these murderers, these rapists, the thieves?!

My poor Sri Lanka

No comments:

Post a Comment